Sunday 4 August 2013

What's in a name?

Hello!

This is my first post from my year abroad in Iceland. I've been in Reykjavik for two nights now and felt it was time to start writing about what I've been doing. But before I get into that, I feel I should explain the name of this blog. Well, it's pretty self explanatory but maybe I should explain the process behind choosing the name.

For a long time I'd thought I should write a blog; it just seems like the inevitable thing to do on a year abroad. However, I was struggling to decide what to call it. This is where I made the decision (mistake?) to ask my dad and my brother to help me think of the name. In a display of obsession and competitiveness they spent several days thinking of as many Iceland-based puns as possible. Yes, some men fight, some men play sports, but the Dawkins men are all about proving their linguistic prowess.

So here are some of the contenders for the name of my blog:

As Cold as Iceland
Alex the Red
No News like Cold News
Ginger Ice
It's Oh So Alex!
Minn Blog
Saga Holiday
Studying on Ice
The Iceland on the Cake
That's Why Alex Went to Iceland (Credit to Justine)
Iceland Iceland Baby! (OK, that one was mine)

And here are some of the definite rejects:

Cold and Alone
Cod Pieces
Glacial Deposits
Snow Place Like Home
Iced Ginger
One Degree North
Leeds Leads Me To Land In Iceland
Transatlantic Twat

This list is only about a fifth of the names they came up with but you get the idea!

So maybe the name I've chosen (courtesy of my father) isn't quite as exciting as these. But I thought it's simple, relevant, and yes, very cheesy. As much as I've enjoyed mocking my family, I very much appreciate the help. And I promise to update this soon with some actual news and pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment