Sunday 4 August 2013

Halló Reykjavík!

I've now spent two nights and nearly two days in Reykjavik. I've been lucky to have very good weather: the sun makes up for the extreme wind! I've spent most of this time walking round the city and it's a great feeling knowing that I'm going to have a year to get to know it. It's absolutely beautiful!

I've also met up with some Erasmus students since being here and will meet some more people later today. Everyone seems really lovely and it's exciting to meet people from all over Europe. I have to admit I felt very lazy as we all spoke in English. It made me realise how lucky I am that I get to speak in my native language but hopefully I'll be attempting to use some Icelandic soon.

One thing I've realised, and which I knew I had to expect, is that Iceland is incredibly expensive. Fruit and veg costs about four times as much as it does in Britain (apart from Watermelon: I need to find out why). Alcohol is also about as expensive as I expected with beer or cider costing around £5 or £6 a pint. However, the good news is that pick and mix is half price on Saturdays!

Here are some pictures I've taken from the last few days.

The view from the harbour.

The Sun Voyager.
Hallgrímskirkja
Outside the church.
Inside the church

Views from the top




Althing (Parliament)

Tjörnin Lake

The University of Iceland.
At about 10pm - and it doesn't get much darker than this at the moment!

So this is home for the next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment