Monday 12 August 2013

Studying at Nupur

Icelandic lessons have started at Nupur and it’s been quite intense (I guess the name ‘Intensive Language Course’ should have been a clue!): we study for three hours every morning. We’ve been split into four groups depending on ability and I’ve been put into the second highest group. At first I had a bit of a panic about this, thinking I’d turn up and be expected to speak in Icelandic all day but it’s been fine. We’ve started with the basics and I’m keeping up so far! For someone who’s so interested in language but only speaks English (and a little Chinese) it’s great to have the opportunity to focus so much on learning a language from scratch, especially when it’s as strange and beautiful and Icelandic.

Our lessons are held in the basement of the old boarding school. I’ve recently learnt that Jon Gnarr, mayor of Reykjavik, used to be taught here.

One of the school houses at Hotel Nupur.

We also have electives in the afternoon, teaching us all sorts of weird and wonderful things. So far I’ve had the opportunity to learn some First Aid and practice CPR, with instructions in Icelandic of course. I also visited the Garden Skrudur near the Hotel. It was opened over 100 years ago to teach the children from the boarding school how to grow fruit, vegetables and flowers in such infertile soil.

The entrance to the garden is made from a whale's jawbone.



Another important part of our Icelandic learning experience is watching Icelandic films (with English subtitles, luckily). So far we’ve watched two: 101 Reykjavik and Remote Control. They’ve both been great and given us a sense of the quirky Icelandic humour. I’d really recommend 101 Reykjavik, especially if you’re a fan of Trainspotting.

We have free time in the evenings (it really is like a school trip!) and I’ve mostly spent this time cooking with friends, doing my homework and going for walks round the hotel. So far we’ve just been walking to the beach and through the countryside but next week I’ll be hiking up the highest mountain in the Westfjords.



Over the next few weeks, I’ll be taking more electives such as ‘How to Swear in Icelandic’ and ‘Viking Weapons and Combat Techniques’. I’ll be sure to update this with instructions on how to attack a viking and tell him to ‘f*** off’.

1 comment:

  1. I love the view that you have in your school. If that was the scenery in my university - I think I would have aced my exams! Such a perfect and beautiful place. Wish all schools are like that. Layce of Studygeek.org

    ReplyDelete