Monday 12 August 2013

My First Weekend at Nupur

A very common perception of Icelanders is that they love to drink and really make the most of their Saturday nights; I can now confirm that this is true. The justification for their drinking is that there’s just nothing else to do! So when the students at Nupur had nothing else to do on a Saturday night we followed the Icelanders’ example. Everyone was loaded with alcohol from the Vinbud (the government owned alcohol store: you can’t buy alcohol in supermarkets here) and one of the old school houses was turned into a bizarre kind of club. I won’t give you all the messy details, partly because I’m sure my parents don’t want to know what I get up to on a Saturday night (nothing bad, I promise), and partly because, well, I’m not sure I can remember all the messy details!

Anyway, it was a fantastic night. As the party wound down a few of us ended up sitting and drinking with some of the locals and even our teacher (I could never do that on a school trip!). The Icelanders are known for partying all night and they were still going when I finally went to bed at 7am!

I woke up around midday and remembered that I was due to go kayaking at 2pm. I waited for the mother of all hangovers to kick in but it never did and I was surprisingly fine - it must be the air here!

We were driven to a local town to kayak in the sea and we were on the water for a couple of hours. As always, the scenery was beautiful and luckily the weather was perfect.




Me, Andrea and Enya looking SO good!

After we’d finished kayaking, one of the instructors asked if anyone wanted a ride in his speed boat. Enya and I jumped in and had a fantastic ride back to the town.




The man seemed so nice and friendly - until he asked us if we wanted to join him and his friends to smoke weed and go to the swimming pool. We politely declined.

No comments:

Post a Comment