Sunday 25 May 2014

Life in Reykjavik: Semester 2

It's been a long time since I wrote about how life has been in Reykjavik the last few months so I will try and sum it up very quickly.

A couple of months ago, my housemates and I went to the Icelandic Music Awards at Harpa. I try not to compare things to how they are in the UK too much but sometimes it can't be helped. It was funny to think I was at the Icelandic version of the Brit Awards but with none of the glitz and glamour; no champagne, no red carpet, the seats were half full and a lot of the winners didn't even bother to give full speeches. It was fun though and typically relaxed.

Yes, the woman in the middle has brought her baby on stage.
Icelanders don't celebrate Pancake Day like us Brits but instead have Bun Day at the beginning of Lent: a day in which Icelandic children hit their parents with paddles and win a bun every time.


Easter was celebrated with huge eggs filled with more sweets and chocolate.


I did of course miss British chocolate, especially Creme Eggs, but Helly saved me with this amazing package!


And with all this talk of chocolate, it no surprise that I've already planned which gym I will be joining the moment I get home...

Speaking of unhealthy lifestyles, there have been a lot of public holidays in the past couple of months which has meant more days the bars are open late and an excessive amount of nights out. I think it's good for my health, especially my liver, that the partying has come to a stop now, but the nights out got more and more crazy and I think it's some of the most fun I've had in my life.

However, I have managed to do some more productive things recently. Enya and I finally got round to climbing Mount Esja, which overlooks Reykjavik. It was a lovely walk but made me realise how horribly, horribly unfit I am (yep, luckily the gym is waiting for me).



And finally, I knitted a lopapeysa!

No comments:

Post a Comment