Thursday 29 May 2014

Goodbye Iceland

So I'm sitting in Keflavik airport, waiting for my crappy EasyJet flight to Bristol, and my time in Iceland has come to an end. I thought I should write one final blog post; I will try not to make it too disgustingly soppy and cheesy but I think I will fail pretty quickly.

Quite simply, it's been the best ten months of my life. Iceland has been a beautiful country to explore and Reykjavik an amazing place to live in. Of course, the thing I will miss most is the people. I've made some amazing friends from all over the world and had some of the best housemates. I know it will be easy to lose contact with many people I've met but I hope to stay in touch with as many people as possible. After all, it's a great reason to travel the world and my friends know they'd be welcome in Leeds any time.

Leaving my flat on Snorrabraut and saying my final goodbye this morning was hard, not just because I had the biggest student room I've ever seen, but because I have such fantastic memories of the place. Reykjavik as a whole has been so great to live in as well. I've never been somewhere that has so much going on, yet has such a strong community feel. I will miss feeling so safe and relaxed wherever I go.

Talking about a 'personal journey' or 'finding myself' is just too vomit-inducing. However, of course a year living alone abroad makes you learn things about yourself. A few years ago I would have been too painfully shy to even consider doing something like this, so it has been a huge personal achievement. I've certainly gained a lot of confidence and, although my lifestyle here is really not one I could maintain any longer, I've learnt to let my hair down a bit. Last year at university, I spend so much time worrying about my grades, I didn't really let myself have time to enjoy everything. I think it's fair to say I've had the polar opposite problem here.

I always include a picture in my blog posts and wanted to choose one to sum up the year. Of course there are literally thousands to choose from but I was drawn to this one.



I took this on my first morning in Reykjavik at the top of the Hallgrimskirkja. I didn't know anyone yet and I took my chance to explore. I remember looking out over this strange beautiful city, so excited that I was going to live here and wondering what the next ten months would be like. Well, now that strange, beautiful city is home and I can honestly say the last ten months have been better than I ever could have expected that day.

And finally, thank you so much for anyone who has bothered to read this. I've been amazed to see how many people click through to my blog. I've been recommended on other blogs, had the link repeatedly retweeted by Icelandic travel companies and my 'Statistics' page shows that one post in particular has really put my blog on the map (I'm embarrassed to admit it was the one about the penis museum...).

So that's that. Iceland, it's been incredible and I can't wait to return some day.

Takk fyrir, Sjáumst. 

1 comment: